Sugar cravings are ever present in our busy lives and it’s easy to forget to feed your body. Our body’s love for sugar comes from feelings of dopamine in the brain. We crave more sweets because it makes us feel good. But since high sugar levels can lead to health problems, including tooth decay and weight gain, you may feel pressure to break your addiction. Here we will explain what sugar is, how it affects our body, and list some techniques to help you resist it fast.
What is sugar?
It’s a carbohydrate in foods like fruits, vegetables, honey, and maple syrup.
Sugar is also an ingredient in many processed foods like cookies and cakes. It’s either a simple or complex carbohydrate, depending on the number of monosaccharides.
Why do we crave sugar?
In the body, there are complicated regulatory mechanisms that help to control blood glucose levels. A group of cells called ‘Glucose Transporter’ helps eliminate sugars from the bloodstream and into the liver for processing through gluconeogenesis or synthesis of glucose from other sources such as amino acids, pyruvate, or glycerol.
Causes of increase in blood glucose level
Many reasons can lead to an increase in blood glucose levels. These include an overactive pancreas, low levels of insulin and too low levels of glucagon, and lack of exercise.
In addition, hormonal imbalance, emotional disturbances like stress and depression, infections like UTIs or STDs, and some other physical problems can cause an increase in blood glucose levels.
What is the relation between sugar, and our health and longevity?
Sugar is something that most human beings crave. If you have diabetes, you should avoid eating it as it can worsen your situation. Overeating sugar can give rise to many side effects, which include obesity, among others. Overweight people would have to maintain a constant intake of sweets in the body, which can be contributed to by eating refined sugar sweeteners.
The human body comprises two primary cells called ‘liver cells’ and ‘cardiac cells.’ The liver cells work to remove toxins from your bloodstream and fatty acids from your fat cells. The cardiac cells are responsible for pumping oxygenated blood throughout the body and breaking down fatty acids.
Techniques that will help you to refuse sugar
- Control portion sizes – Studies show that most people fail at dieting because they don’t follow their diets. So it’s essential to control your food portions. Keep a check on what you eat, measure the quantity, and stop once you’ve had enough. If you have a sweet tooth, have vegetables as a snack or on two daily dates.
- Do not wholly avoid sugar from your diet – You can’t live without it in your daily diet; however, choosing healthier options like dark chocolate or honey is always better than having refined white refined sugar. But you should be aware that most sugar-laden processed food is not suitable for your health. Refined sugar increases insulin production, leading to more fat in your body. So try to avoid processed food as much as possible.
- Have a disciplined lifestyle – You must have a disciplined lifestyle. It means that you should go for regular exercise, sleep well and eat healthy food habitually to keep your mind and body fit and active. You should try to follow a strict routine of healthy habits so that you stay away from unhealthy eating habits and do not indulge in binge-eating activities.
- Add other flavors – You can replace processed foods in your diet with those that support long-term success. Swap out sugary snacks for healthier options like whole wheat crackers or nuts, which can help reduce cravings and maintain weight loss goals. For breakfast, have oatmeal with fruit or nuts. If craving dessert, make a fruit smoothie with frozen berries and honey instead of ice cream.
- You should include more unprocessed foods in your diet. Various food delivery companies can help you greatly to cut down on sugar. Suppose you order online food delivery from a reliable service with a good reputation. In that case, you can ask your delivery guys to buy only the items that are not high in sugar. You should also include more protein in your diet. Try to include the necessary daily allowance of fruits and vegetables in the diet. They are a great source of nutrition, reduce sugar cravings, and control sugar levels in the body.
- Eating more frequently and snacking on fruits and vegetables will help you manage sugar cravings and prevent binge-eating. Snacking on whole-grain crackers, cheese, or nuts is an excellent way to control binge-eating. Consider having large-sized portions of vegetables, fruits, legumes, and whole grains in your daily diet. These items are high in fiber content, which keeps you full for extended periods.
- Foods rich in fat like ghee, unsalted butter, or coconut oil would help satisfy sugar cravings. This will give you the required sweetness without giving out all calories. Other natural fat sources include nuts, avocados, olive oils, and seeds.
A famous saying goes, “You can’t live without sugar, but you can live without food.”
It means that nutrition is not just about food, but also how it impacts your life. There is no denying the fact that sucrose helps with controlling blood glucose levels so that your body can function properly by providing energy to various tissues and cells. However, excessive sugary or sugary products can lead to health risks, including tooth decay, obesity, and diabetes. These problems can be avoided by implementing the above-mentioned techniques to stop sugar cravings and maintain a healthy weight effectively.
In today’s world, sugar is one of the most widely used ingredients in snacks and other processed foods. This can lead to many health risks. Eating sugar does not help you gain weight, but keeps you fat. It does not allow you to get a toned body, but makes you look fat. So if you have been trying to reduce your weight, try to avoid eating food high in sugar or other sweeteners as it may increase your blood glucose levels and worsen the situation. We hope you were able to find these tips helpful. Stay healthy.
Who is the author?
Tori C. Johnson is the mother of two young boys. She likes to go out and socialize with her friends, and she loves reading books and hiking in nature.
Her children are her world, and she enjoys playing with them as often as possible.