The upcoming holidays are a great time to unwind and enjoy laughs with family and friends. Unfortunately, this period is also ridden with overindulgence, especially the overindulgence of alcohol. That said, if you’re looking for something that will quench your thirst and manage your health during the festive period, we have a few recipes that will help you do exactly that.
We love this recipe taken from “Cooking from the Heart: DASH Edition Cookbook,” courtesy of Pharma Dynamics‘ This recipe will not only keep you hydrated, but it will also give your health a boost.
Savory Green Smoothie
This refreshing green smoothie is packed with nutrients and flavor. Enjoy it as a light meal or snack. The avocado adds creaminess to the smoothie and is delicious with the freshness of cucumber, spinach, fresh ginger, and mint.
- 1 medium ripe avocado or 1 medium
- 4 cucumbers, cubed
- 2 medium spinach or kale leaves,
- 5 tsp (25 ml) finely grated fresh
- 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) coarsely chopped
- Unsalted almonds or cashew nuts 1 tsp (5 ml) finely grated lemon rind 125-150 ml plain low-fat yogurt 8-10 small fresh mint leaves, or to taste
- 1 cup (250 ml) ice–cold water
- 1 medium apple in the skin, cubed lemon juice to taste
- Lightly mash the avocado or banana with a fork and place with all the other ingredients in a large jug. 2. Blend with a stick blender until smooth. Add a squeeze or two of lemon juice to taste.
- Pour the smoothie mixture into glasses and garnish with any extra elements used in the mixture; like thin strips of cucumber, grated lemon rind, and mint leaves.
- Make it dairy-free: Pour 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) boiling water over 20 raw, unsalted almonds into a measuring jug. Allow standing for 10 minutes. Blend with a stick blender until smooth. Use this nut milk instead of the yogurt in the recipe. 2. Prepare the smoothie to your preference: To thicken, add 2-3 tbsp (30-45 ml) uncooked ordinary oats with the rest of the ingredients and blend well. To thin, add more water.
- Replace fresh ginger with a small piece of fresh turmeric when in season for an added health boost.
- For a spicier version, blend a small piece of fresh chili or a pinch of cayenne pepper with the ingredients.
Makes 750 ml | Serves 4 | Ready in 20 minutes