Cook healthy food during the pandemic and you’ll notice a big difference in how you look and feel. Although COVID-19 is a pandemic that’s caused a lot of changes to our daily routines. We must try our best to take care of our diets and health. It won’t make a difference practising good hygiene if you’re compromising your immune system and gaining unwanted weight because of poor diet and food choices. With limited space, it’s also tricky to get in as much physical activity as you may have got before.
However, dieticians explain that with some extra thought you can stay fit and healthy during the coronavirus pandemic. It’s also important to learn how to cook smartly. This is a difficult time for many of us, where we are feeling financially pressurised. If that’s the case for you, then there are ways to cook food that’s healthy but more affordable. If you’re looking to save some cash, then it might help to start with what you’ve got in your kitchen. Maybe exploring your kitchen and learning to cook healthily is new to you. That’s okay because we’ve got your back today with these delicious and nutritious recipes!
There’s also no point in panic buying, that won’t help your goals to cook healthy. Let’s tap into our cooking skills and get a crash course on how to stay healthy in the kitchen today.
Cooking Healthy To Stay Healthy
Yes, it’s as simple as that. Try not to let yourself fall into a slump where you’re feeling lazy and craving junk food. A treat is great once in a while, but not when you’re in lockdown for longer than a month. It’s time to start embracing your ability to cook at home.
Usually, the general consensus is that people don’t cook their own meals because their regular schedule doesn’t allow them enough time. But this has all changed now and the lockdown period is the best time to cook some simple, healthy recipes at home. Better yet, they can be wallet-friendly and nutritious. You just never know. Maybe you will discover a new love for cooking? This is the one time we get to explore new passions and try out different things. So don’t waste the time we’ve got.
Often we get so caught up in the mad rush of our day-to-day lives that we barely have time to sit for five minutes. That’s not healthy and here’s your opportunity to finally explore your favorite, long-lost joys and passions that will make you and your families smile.
Don’t get stressed out about trying to cook fancy meals either. You don’t need that right now because we need to stay strong and healthy to ‘flatten-the-curve.’ Make every meal simple, tasty and healthy. We’ve got some delicious recipes that you can cook in just 10 minutes and even nutritionists approve of these home-made fast-food options.
Cook These Quick And Easy Meals
Thank you to Shaw Academy for inspiring these recipes.
Avocado Smash On Toast
This has got to be one of the most classic, Instagram meals in existence. However, it’s a really easy-to-cook option that is really healthy and only takes about ten minutes to prepare. Avocados are nutritionally-dense and packed with healthy fats. This recipe hardly involves much ability to cook and it’s ideal for both a breakfast and a lunch option depending on what you are in the mood for.
Typically, we would call this a super healthy and easy recipe to enjoy as a breakfast meal.
All you have to do is:
- Cut up a small to medium avocado and smash it up with a fork in a small bowl. You can also add some chopped onion, garlic, salt, pepper, herbs and even a dash of paprika for taste. Try combining a teaspoon of chia seeds and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper for some spice.
- Take out two pieces of rye or whole-wheat bread and pop them into the toaster
- Spread your avocados, smash onto your toast and enjoy! This should keep you full until lunchtime.
If someone wants me to cook, then I’ll cook pancakes any day. Who doesn’t love pancakes? That’s the thing, everybody does no matter how old you are. The best part is that this recipe is super healthy and will keep you fit if you cook it just right. Lockdown doesn’t have to be boring or rigid.
It also gives you and your family something fun to do during this lockdown period.
You only need three ingredients to cook these pancakes too.
You will require:
- Two Bananas
- Four Eggs
- A Tablespoon of Coconut Oil
Those are all the ingredients you need. Simple to cook right? Trust us when we say that you will be getting some very tasty and fluffy pancakes in just minutes. They’re nice and light as well which makes these pancakes easy on the tummy. The key here is to try avoiding heavy meals when you cook during the lockdown.
- All you need to do is mash two bananas with four eggs.
- Now you can grease a pan with the coconut oil and pour the batter into the pan and cook for two minutes.
- Once you’ve got your pancakes, add vanilla extract, cinnamon, or blueberries to them. You can even drizzle the pancakes with maple syrup or honey to make them sweeter, prettier and tastier.
Power Breakfast Bowl
There may not be much reason to cook or turn on an oven with this superfood recipe. Start your mornings on a positive and healthy note. Do your best not to skip breakfast because it will keep you satisfied and happy throughout the day.
Due to the current situation, we think it’s best to focus on cooking meals that are loaded with superfoods and antioxidants to help strengthen your immune system. Of course, flavor and texture are important too! So let’s get creative.
This bowl is easy, filled with texture, nutrition and so much taste!
- Grab a handful of blueberries and chop up a handful of walnuts/almonds.
- Get an egg out and poach it.
- Try steaming some baby spinach or chopped spinach.
- Place all the ingredients neatly into a bowl and drizzle it with some honey and balsamic vinegar.
Now you can enjoy your quick and delicious healthy superfood bowl. This meal is packed with antioxidants and immune-boosting nutrients. You will be very impressed with your ability to ‘cook’ this dish when you try it.
Bean Chilli. Yum
Here’s a really great meal to cook for lunch or dinner. It’s delicious and very healthy, but also easy to cook. It’s not always easy to prepare meals on the spot, which might have us grabbing unhealthy options. However, this meal idea is great to cook ahead of time. Besides, nobody wants to have the same monotonous, boring green vegetables and pulses for a mid-day meal on a lockdown afternoon.
Give this easy bean chilli a try!
- Get a can of red kidney beans and drain out the brine.
- Empty the can in a large saucepot along with a can of diced and roasted tomatoes, frozen corn, green beans, and vegetable stock.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder to it.
- Heat it through entirely in a microwave and your healthy recipe for lunch or dinner in minutes.
It’s never been easier to cook from home, right?
Vegetable Omelette In A Mug
We were also surprised by this one, mainly because it’s so unique. There’s nothing wrong with experimenting a bit, especially if you’re going to cook it yourself.
Better yet, this recipe is quick and easy to prepare in only ten minutes.
To cook this very healthy recipe, this is what you need to do:
- Add two eggs, chopped bell peppers, tomato, and spinach, along with spices like salt and pepper to a greased mug.
- Put the contents along with the mug into the microwave for two minutes.
- Voila! Your nutritious, healthy, protein-filled breakfast is ready to be enjoyed! You will feel satisfied and full of energy for hours.
How easy does that sound?
Craving nothing but cheesy pizza? Yeah, sometimes being locked up at home can have this effect on you. Thankfully you don’t have to succumb to these temptations because there are alternative options. This craving might be even stronger amongst your kids if you’ve got it.
However, we can try our best to satiate the weekly pizza craving with this home-made pizza that makes for a perfect easy healthy recipe. This recipe is both power-packed and nutritious at the same time.
You will get the best results if you cook this recipe with round portobello mushrooms.
- Start by scooping out a large round portobello mushroom.
- Replace it with tomato, cheese, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Now, place it inside a microwave and cook it till the mushroom has softened, and the cheese has melted.
And that’s it. Dinner or lunch is done. You’ve got yourself a very cheesy, tasty and delicious pizza that you can cook whenever. This easy and healthy meal is the perfect treat.
Chicken and Cauliflower Fried Rice
If you’re looking for a quick and really easy meal idea for dinner that will certainly keep you fit and healthy. Then give this easy-to-cook dish a try.
Prepare this meal for the whole family, because they will surely enjoy it. It’s also wise to cook this recipe when you’ve got leftover chicken from the previous day’s meal.
- Start by taking cauliflower florets and blending them in a food processor until they get a rice-like consistency.
- Now, put some sesame oil in a pan, fry some garlic, frozen vegetables and add 1/4th cup water to it.
- Keep the pan covered until the cauliflower softens and veggies get defrosted.
- Lastly, toss the leftover chicken into the mixture and enjoy a lovely meal full of nutritious protein.
And that’s all you need to cook to enjoy a really healthy dinner with the family.
Quesadilla With Cheese
If you’re vegan you can always substitute the cheese for vegan cheese.
If not, eating a healthy diet doesn’t mean you’ve got to cut out cheese entirely from your diet. You can cook nutritious food that includes cheese. In fact, a moderate amount of cheese can most definitely make for a healthy lunch.
- Take whole wheat or sprouted tortilla and fill it with provolone or mozzarella.
- Both of these options can supply you with the correct amount of calcium required for the day.
- Now, using a stove, microwave or a panini press, grill it to get a crunchy and yummy taste.
There you have it: a healthy recipe done in only 10 minutes.
The coronavirus is insidious. This is what Dr Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told Trevor Noah on The Social Distancing Show.
Easy Healthy Recipes at Home During Lockdown. Shaw Academy. https://blog.shawacademy.com/easy-healthy-recipes-at-home-during-lockdown/
The Smart Way To Stock Up Your Kitchen During Coronavirus Lockdown. New York Post. https://nypost.com/2020/03/19/the-smart-way-to-stock-up-your-kitchen-during-coronavirus-lockdown/
Top Diet Tricks To Stay Healthy During Lockdown. MSN Lifestyle. https://www.msn.com/en-za/health/nutrition/top-diet-tricks-to-stay-healthy-during-lockdown/ar-BB11MwoF